After a long day of festivities on Saturday, we got the kids settled into bed. About 1:30 in the morning Brady and I heard Katelyn scream very LOUDLY!! She continued to cry for a few seconds and then stopped. We have a monitor in the girls room because they are downstairs and it makes me and them more comfortable knowing that I can hear everything in their room. We debated about making the trek downstairs to check on her, but decided that because she had stopped, we wouldn't worry about it. (It is not uncommon for Katelyn to cry or talk in her sleep.)
Sunday morning, Katelyn came up to my room and said "Mom, it hurts when I smile!" I looked at her face and with shock and horror said "Ya, it does...what did you do?" She of course had no idea. She didn't even remember screaming out during the night.
This is what Kate looked liked when she came upstairs.

I could not believe that she had a black eye. Lauryn didn't even hear her scream, she must have been really tired is all I can say because Katelyn was loud!! After going to her room and looking around the best that we can figure is that she got up and was walking in her sleep. When she screamed, it sounded like she was right next to the monitor which is across the room from her bed. My guess is that she was either wandering around aimlessly or she was trying to get into her bathroom and walked into the corner of her chest of drawers. We measured her and her check was even to one of the corners on the chest of drawers. She had a little scratch on her check, you can't really see in the picture above, so I am guessing that she hit her check and it gave her a black eye. Obviously I don't really know, but that is my best guess!
It was great going to church and everyone asking her if her parents beat her up or if her sister got mad at her. :)

Monday, Lauryn and Katelyn started swimming lessons and after Kate wore her goggles for a couple of days, it made the bruise even more black and more ugly! After today, I told her not to wear the goggles because it put too much pressure on her eye.

So I guess my lesson learned, when your child screams out during the night...always go check on them!
1 comment:
oh scary!
Post a Comment